One of the most essential factors for the success of your website is its level of security. Breaches and hacks will not only bring down your site temporarily, but they will also damage your customers’ confidence in your ability to protect their information. Plus, visitors will not be able to access your site if it is unsecured, thanks to Google’s safeguards. When you are looking for hosting for your website, it’s important to take security into account at the beginning so you don’t have to deal with these problems later. These are the factors you should consider for secure web hosting, plus the most secure hosting options available.
What to Look For with Secure Web Hosting
There is no one special feature that makes a hosting service more secure than everyone else. There are actually several features you should look for when trying to find the most secure web hosting:
- Firewalls: A firewall filters activity and blocks certain IP addresses. Known offenders land themselves on a sort of “black list”, which blocks them from accessing sites. A web hosting company may have one such list, and block individuals from accessing any site they provide hosting for. Dedicated firewalls allow you to set up specific rules for which users to block.
- DDoS Protection: Distributed Denial of Service, or DDos, is a type of cyber attack that sends thousands of requests to your website at once, which overloads the site, preventing it from processing the requests and ultimately shuts it down. Most web hosting companies will offer some sort of protection against these attacks, which involves analyzing activity, blocking automated requests, and allowing legitimate traffic to flow to your site.
- Virus Protection: Viruses can compromise your users’ information or even cause your site to crash. Anti-virus systems will help you protect your customers’ sensitive information and keep your website running smoothly. There should be protection for both the company’s data center and your individual website. Bundled software is best, such as some form of CDN integration.
- Security Monitoring: It’s not enough to solve problems once they arise, since it’s often too late by then. You also want to monitor your site for potential problems. A secure web hosting service will offer some sort of security monitoring to look for issues before they pose a serious danger to your site.
- SSL Security Certificates: This protects sensitive information that is entered by users or shown to users. It also tells Google that your site is secure. Without it, Google will label your site as unsafe and users will be unable to access it.
Which Types of Hosting are More Secure?
There are many types of hosting services out there, but they don’t all include the same level of security. Shared hosting is often the least secure, though you may be able to add on the appropriate security features (at extra cost). Managed hosting services often include security features from the start, so you don’t need to add anything on or worry about your website’s security.
Top Secure Web Hosting Options
The following web hosting companies are the most popular for 2019 and feature plenty of security:
- SiteGround: Free SSL certificate, automatic updates
- WebHostFace: Up-to-date security patches, free private SSL certificate
- Shopify: Great for ecommerce sites, free SSL certificate, professional reports
- JavaPipe: Free SSL certificate, DDoS protection, daily backups, Cloudflare CDN integration, 1-click restorations
One More Option: BionicWP
BionicWP is another excellent choice for a secure managed hosting service. We offer both hosting and support services for your website. We can provide the tools and support for building a reliable and attractive site. Our hosting services will keep your site secure without compromising speed or quality. Our hosting plans are affordable and offer the following security features:
- Off-site backups for 90 days
- Regular updates for themes and plugins
- Daily security scans for malware and viruses
- A hack promise to protect you from intruders
- CDN integration
- Free SSL certificate
- Free monthly reports
Other features offered with all of our hosting plans include real-time uptime monitoring and free WordPress migration for an existing site.
We also offer top-notch support in the event that something does go wrong. This support could resolve minor questions or tackle major issues that are holding up the launch of your site. Our support plans can help you with design, development, content writing, project management, and WordPress in general.
BionicWP can provide secure WordPress hosting for any professional website, including ecommerce and agencies. Both large and small agencies can obtain special discounts as well. We match you with the hosting and support services that will best serve your goals, needs, budget, and skill level. Our experts are available to answer your questions every day, so you can get the help you need when you need it. Contact BionicWP today to discuss your secure WordPress hosting needs.