Why are my plugin updates taking so long?
Managed plugin updates are a crucial aspect of maintaining a secure and efficient WordPress website. BionicWP, a managed WordPress hosting service, follows a structured approach to ensure that plugin updates are carried out smoothly, minimizing the risk of compatibility issues or site disruptions. This knowledge base article provides an overview of how managed plugin updates are performed by BionicWP.
Premium Plugin Activation: It’s important to note that for premium plugins, active licenses are a prerequisite for updates. BionicWP relies on valid licenses to access and apply updates for premium plugins. If a premium plugin’s license is not active or has expired, BionicWP will not be able to update it.
Website owners are encouraged to ensure that their premium plugin licenses are up-to-date to take full advantage of managed plugin updates. An expired license can hinder the timely application of critical updates, potentially leaving the website vulnerable to security risks and missing out on important features and improvements introduced in newer versions of the plugin.
Now lets get into how we do things here:
- Scheduled Updates: We typically schedules plugin updates a few days to weeks after the release of the latest version. This delay allows for a buffer period during which potential issues with the update can be identified and addressed.
- Risk Assessment: Before updating any plugin, we performs a comprehensive risk assessment. This assessment includes:
- Reviewing the changelog: The team carefully examines the plugin’s changelog to understand the changes and improvements introduced in the new version.
- Compatibility checks: we asses whether the updated plugin is compatible with other plugins and themes on the site. Compatibility issues are a common cause of site malfunctions after updates.
- Vulnerability assessment: The team checks if the update addresses any security vulnerabilities. Ensuring that plugins are up-to-date is essential for website security.
- Regression Testing: We conducts regression testing to verify that the updated plugin functions correctly and does not break any existing site features or functionality. This step is crucial in preventing any adverse impacts on the website.
- Staging Environment: Plugin updates are first applied to a staging environment in some cases that include bigger updates, rather than the live site. This isolated environment allows for a more controlled testing process without affecting the site’s performance or availability.
- Monitoring and Rollback Plan: While the updated plugins are being tested in the staging environment for the bigger updates, we continuously monitors the website’s performance. In case any issues are detected, a rollback plan is in place to revert to the previous plugin version swiftly.
- Automation and Manual Intervention: We employ a combination of automation and manual intervention during the update process. Automation ensures efficiency, while manual oversight allows for the quick resolution of unexpected issues.
- Incremental Updates: In cases where a plugin update includes significant changes or potential compatibility issues, we may opt for incremental updates. This means updating the plugin one version at a time to closely monitor any issues that may arise.
- Post-Update Checks: After the plugin updates are applied to the live website, we perform post-update checks to ensure that everything is functioning as expected. This includes verifying site performance, functionality, and security.
- Support: We encourage customers to provide feedback on the updated plugins. If any issues are reported post-update, the support team is readily available to assist and resolve any concerns.
Our managed plugin update process is designed to prioritize the stability and security of WordPress websites. By carefully assessing compatibility, conducting thorough testing, and maintaining open communication with customers, BionicWP ensures that plugin updates are performed with minimal disruption and maximum benefit for website owners.